Assignment 5: Critical Reflection

Throughout the trimester taking this module, I have completed each assigned task with the goals of achieving better communication and writing skills in mind. As most of the assignment requires us to draft our work and edit it according to feedback provided by our peers, it is inevitable that we have to consistently edit our work.

As such, I find it time-consuming to provide feedback for the work of our peers as I have the mentality that I am in no position to do so. In addition, I was skeptical to the feedback provided by my peers as I thought to myself if the feedback written by them were essential to improve the quality of my work. After constant practicing of providing and receiving feedback, I realized the importance of doing the necessary editing of my work according to the feedback given by my peers as it not only benefits the work of the writer, it also enables the student writing the feedback the ability to identify common mistakes made and not repeat it.  This will then greatly improve both our communication and writing skills.


Looking back, I recall myself being unable to reject a person’s request. To my surprise, I have successfully overcome this difficulty with the right choice of words and having the correct tone when communicating. As a result, it emphasizes the importance of effective communication. In all, after various weeks of taking this module, I have seen myself grow in terms of writing and communication skills. 

Comments

  1. Hi Cheron,

    I agree that the importance of consistently editing our work is a very tedious task. However, it is so that we can bring out the best capability of our work in context. And I believe this hard work will be paid off eventually. I am sort of surprise that you are facing these problems, because I always have the impression that writting and speaking comes very naturally to you. I feel that your writing has always been interesting because it gives me another side of a perspective towards the course.

    Best regards,
    Jieming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Jieming!

      There's a saying: "Never judge a book by its cover" so yea, I do face the above mentioned challenges unfortunately. Thank you for taking time to read my work! It means a lot and I really appreciate it.

      Cheers,
      Cheron

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this honest reflection, Cheron. I'm glad that you mentioned in the post the various arguments for and against peers giving feedback. It's clear that, by the end of the term, you realized that the value is not limited to the feedback received but (and perhaps more helpful) it is the feedback given, and how that impacts the giver's perspective, that carries a lot of learning weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      You're very welcome! I was merely doing as tasked and I hope this editing and providing feedback method can be in use for as long as this module goes! It sure did help students though it may be deemed as being a burden. I am sure with constant practice, students will be able to see its benefits, just like me.

      Cheers,
      Cheron Poh

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts